Curio 4.2 Release Notes
January 9, 2008
Curio 4 runs on OS X Tiger (10.4) on Intel or PowerPC Macs.
Audio and Video Recording
You can now take audio and video notes using our new integrated recorder!
Choose Insert > Recording > Audio Recording or Insert > Recording > Video Recording to insert a recording item into your current idea space. A placeholder audio or video asset figure will be placed into your idea space, and the recording window will automatically appear giving you a chance to check levels and input settings. If everything looks good, then click the record button to begin. When you're done, click the record button again to stop the recording.
Manual Mind Map Branch Placement
Branch children of the central topic in a mind map can now be manually positioned.
Simply drag the figure so the red target shows up as you drag. When you release the mouse, the figure will be placed at that drop location. Note that dragging a figure to the left or right side of the root will automatically flip children so they spread out towards the left or right, as appropriate.
If you want to position it automatically again then you need to drag it over the top or bottom portion of an existing figure, such that you see the red insertion line, so it will be re-inserted as a sibling of that item. Then Curio will, once again, be in charge of its positioning. You can also simply click the Reset Layout button in the mind map inspector to make it so all mind map figures are automatically positioned.
New Leopard Features
- QuickLook thumbnails are now shown in the idea space for asset figures if icon sizes are 128x128 in size or greater. To support this change, we now support icon sizes up to 256x256.
- If you select one or more asset figures, you can press Option-Spacebar to show the QuickLook Preview window and scroll through their previews.
- We now show a QuickLook thumbnail (like what you see in Finder's CoverFlow) in the Asset Inspector for a selected asset or asset figure.
Smarter Resource Handling
We made some changes to how assigned resources are used within Curio.
- 'From Resources' Checkbox
Curio now supports a new 'From Resources' checkbox next to the percent complete edit field in the Flags Inspector panel. If checked, the percent complete value will be computed via any assigned resources, otherwise the user can enter a specific value essentially overriding any resource percentages.
- Inherited Resources
Parent figures will now automatically inherit all resources assigned to dependent child figures. So, clicking on a top-level figure and checking out its resources in the Inspector will show you exactly which resources are used by any of its dependent child figures and each of their overall completion percentages, recursively.
- New idea space background textures added to a new group called Backdrops.
- In presentation mode, the mouse now automatically shows itself when moved, and hides itself after a delay.
- When adding or grabbing a WebArchive, we now determine its original reference URL. Then, in the idea space, if you double-click the WebArchive, we open the WebArchive. But, if you right-click and choose Asset > Open URL in Browser, then we open the original reference URL.
- New Edit > Copy As > PNG and Edit > Copy As > JPG for easy copying of the selected figures directly into one of those two image formats.
- Nicer looking tooltips including new tooltips that offer assistance when rearranging mind map items.
- In a mind map, the main branch figures are now a bit closer to the central topic figure. And, the vertical distance between the child figures has been slightly increased so shadows don't touch sibling items.
- Fixed figure rotation entry field so you can now type in rotation values manually instead of using the circular slider.
- Replaced circular slider used for the figure corners so its back to being a vertical slider so it's easier to set it to the maximum value.
- The Organizer running under Leopard now correctly handles keyboard shortcuts such as Q.
- If all Curio windows are closed, and you click on its dock icon, a new untitled window will automatically appear.
- Fixed a crash which could occur if deleting multiple idea spaces in the Organizer.
- Fixed issue where flags could be hidden if items were simply rearranged within a list or mind map collection.
- Our SearchKit integration, for searching within asset contents, is now more robust with better error handling in case an exception occurs.
- Fixed problem playing movies when in a zoomed window or in presentation mode.
- Typing into various Inspector text fields, such as geometry width/height and text font size, now works reliably.
- Removing an asset from the Library now correctly removes all figures which use that asset.
- Fixed problem importing new dossier templates if no customized templates already exist.
- Now compressing the idea space's background image to dramatically decrease the overall size of the idea space on disk.
- The Open With menu no longer shows copies of applications stored via Time Machine.