Zengobi Forums
Talk about all things Zengobi.

Click to go back to Zengobi

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feature Request: Index Cards
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zengobi Forums Forum Index -> The Enlightened Ones
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sean Coffee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Feature Request: Index Cards Reply with quote

Loving Curio so far!

One small request: I'd love to be able to add an index card to an idea space -- a simple, lined notecard with a red ruler line at the top, giving me a top margin for a heading. I'd love to have an idea space that allows me to lay out a writing project on these cards, freed from the constraints of something like SuperNoteCard.

I write using the amazing Scrivener, and the topic of a free-form corkboard comes up often in their forum -- usually with someone fondly remembering the long lost ThreeByFive app of the 90s. (Okay, that "someone" is usually me.)

The simple addition of a pre-made index card in Curio would give me ThreeByFive on serious steroids.

SC

P.S. Can I make a traditional looking notecard myself, using the text tool? I've tried to add lines, with no luck.
mitchellm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be a nice addition!
NightStalker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and another vote from me. Excellent idea.
pavig

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like an index card would be fantastic. Perhaps a styleable box element like we already have for lists. I often find myself wanting something like this. (Also an index card fetishist Razz)
Amafortas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Great Idea Reply with quote

Yup, I can see how this would be most useful.

~A
Sean Coffee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to know it's not just me. (He said, rather shamelessly bumping his own post because index cards would be really cool.)
Don_B

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: File Under: Do It! Reply with quote

Great suggestion!
Vermonter17032

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too think this is a great suggestion. I wonder why no one from Zengobi has responded. Are you listening? What are your thoughts?
george
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry: we're listening. We learn quite a bit from customer feedback so watching this thread (among others) grow has been extremely useful.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on that. Great idea. Scrivener is really nice but you just don't have that option of messily scattering notecards in front of you and then putting them in order.
GoGo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[b]Index cards![/b]

I'd love this too. Wink
StudioMobile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:42 am    Post subject: Notecards / RTF Figures - Yes! Reply with quote

I'd like to add a huge thumbs up to the idea for RTF notecards, that could be arranged on the IdeaSpace as independent figures/objects just like the List and Mindmap objects. If they could be nested together into hierarchies that would be even cooler, but the main thing is just to get some sort of RTF text object that acts like a notecard, and offers full RTF editing when it's opened up. This is probably the most important missing feature that's holding Curio back from a larger audience--

I too was a big fan of the Three By Five software (sibling product to Final Draft) from the 90s-- it was a phenomenal way to take notes on individual notecards as if they were "scraps of paper", then arrange them randomly on the "corkboard" as ideas formed, and eventually nest them into a hierarchy/outline. This would work brilliantly in Curio alongside the other visual/media objects it offers on the IdeaSpace "corkboard".

Please folks, give us real rich text figures we can freely arrange on the canvas-- the icon could sit right next to the List and Mindmap buttons. (also, offering an authentic corkboard background for the IdeaSpace would complete the notecard metaphor...)

Sean Coffee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Notecards / RTF Figures - Yes! Reply with quote

[b]This is probably the most important missing feature that's holding Curio back from a larger audience.[/b]

A bold statement, but one that has merit. From a writer's perspective:

Software for writing on the Mac is experiencing quite a renaissance: WriteRoom, Scrivener, Montage, StoryMill, Final Draft 8, etc. Hell, Michael Chabon even cited DevonThink and Nisus Writer in the colophon of his last novel.

But if you look at all of this stuff, NONE of them do what we're asking Curio to do. Everything I just mentioned seems to understand the way writers think (finally!) -- except when it comes to translating a heap of index cards and a cork board to the computer screen. Yes, all of them incorporate notecards, but every single one forces us onto a grid. You can shuffle cards, but you don't have the ability to play with them -- swap them around, nudge them, pile them up.

One market in particular comes to mind, Zengobi: the simple addition of freestyle index cards would immediately make you the most powerful screenplay development application on the market. What screenwriter wouldn't jump at the chance to take their messy office bulletin board with them wherever they go -- complete with cards that have the full functionality of cork and pins (except, y'know, on an infinite amount of space)? A joyous spread of notecards, doodles, little outlines, there to be organized as much or as little as you want!

Oh, and you can color code and tag to you heart's desire.

Oh, and everything is searchable.

Oh, and you can spread an entire draft of your screenplay across idea spaces, and add scenes on notecards at will. And storyboard frames. And headshots for casting. Curio isn't just a screenwriting application anymore -- it's a full-blown story development tool for working filmmakers.

Of course, we can already do most of this without index cards. But those little scraps are -- functionally and metaphorically -- the gateway to the whole thing.

Sorry, I'm probably a little too enthusiastic here. But I'm also right.
StudioMobile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: ... Storycrafting Nirvana! ... Right Indeed! Reply with quote

Sean you are right indeed!!! Thanks for beautifully elaborating on this issue-- there's just absolutely no question what an *essential* feature the notecard concept is to Curio. It's amazing it wasn't in the first release, considering the creative target audience!

The key to fleshing out ideas visually is to be able to "push around" written notes and concepts, and this means large chunks of rich text (notecards). The current list/outline and text box objects are totally insufficient. We need a concise object metaphor such as the notecard, that can be double-clicked to open as an RTF document. The built-in text editor kit in Leopard/Tiger should make this really simple. The key is to have it be able to shrink down to a notecard sized figure that can be pushed around the screen, AND also drag-resized to show more or less of the content inside.

The current options for a chunk of text are really poor: drag out a text box, which inherently shows the entire body of text overlaid on the canvas (i.e. can't be shrunk down to card size) and is only plain-text. Or drag in an RTF or Word/Pages file, which shows only a small icon on the canvas, and must be viewed/edited in another app.

This problem especially manifests now that Evernote is integrated inside Curio. It's a potentially phenomenal combination-- I take tons of notes inside Evernote (in both the Mac/iPhone apps, plus via Jott mobile voice recognition-- www.jott.com), and they're all just RTFs inside Evernote. But when I drag them into Curio using the new shelf tab, they come in as large text boxes that totally clutter up the page-- there's no way to arrange these with anything like the Three-By-Five notecard effect. And if I drag them in as RTF documents (double-click the object in the Evernote tab, then use the icon at the top of the window), then they're just small external document icons, with no control over visualizing the content until I open them in an external editor.

Combining real power over document/text formation, alongside the other graphics/media tools on the IdeaSpace--and now Evernote-- would make Curio the ultimate Knowledge Construction Tool!
george
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, thanks everyone for this fantastic feedback.

Let's go into detail a bit more.

First, note that a text figure in Curio is technically rich text. You can mix fonts, font attributes (bold, italic, etc), font sizes, etc. It's definitely not a plain text control.

However, Curio text figures can't hold graphics or other forms of "attachments". Why? Because we're trying to treat those file-based items as assets in our asset library and things get a lot more complex if there are shared within a text figure.

In TextEdit they note the difference via the filename extension. If it's just rich text then it ends with .rtf. If it contains rich text and images then it ends with .rtfd and it's technically a package (aka a folder) as it contains the image files stored within it.

So, the first thing to clarify: when you say text figures are insufficient do you mean because they can't hold images?

Secondly, lists can hold images as their own line items, of course. So you could create a "notecard" using a list. But I think that's still missing something for you. Is it because it doesn't have the red title line and the light-blue item lines? That's a pretty easy thing to add to the list collection code -- basically a smart background coloring style based on the line items.

But then something was mentioned about seeing a scaled down version of the notecard on the screen and then double-clicking it opens it up in an RTF editor. Is that what we're looking for with notecards?

However, if you drag a RTF or RTFD file created with TextEdit into Curio then you can right-click on it and choose "Show as Preview". You will then see a scaled-down Quick Look-rendered version of the contents of that document. And double-clicking it opens it within TextEdit. Is that what you're looking for? Ah, but then you can't clearly see the first few lines of the notecard -- is that the problem?

One last attempt here, are you looking for something like Curio's WebView? Basically allow the creation of a text area where anything including images can be stored within. If you double-click it, Curio overlaps a rich scrollable TextView on top of it. Like WebView, it'll have a little mini-toolbar so when you click "Done" the contents are saved to the file (stored within our asset library) and we create a preview image showing how it looked when you clicked done. If that's basically correct then when we resize it are we resizing the bounds of the TextView (like we resize the bounds of the WebView) or do you want us to scale the actual preview image? If the latter, then we can't really overlap a TextView when you want to edit it and it would have to open in a separate window or simply open in TextEdit.

Whew! Sorry for these lengthy questions but I can tell this is very important to a lot of you so I want to make sure we really understand what you're looking for.

Oh, and lastly, don't forget there's actually a corkboard texture in the idea space "Fabrics" collection via the Background inspector. Yeah, Fabrics isn't the best choice but it's kind of there for historical purposes....

Thanks everyone!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zengobi Forums Forum Index -> The Enlightened Ones All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: