Zengobi Forums
Talk about all things Zengobi.

Click to go back to Zengobi

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whered my stuff go!?! (Dropbox issues?)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zengobi Forums Forum Index -> The Enlightened Ones
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Whered my stuff go!?! (Dropbox issues?) Reply with quote

Turned on the computer today to find all of 3 days, 15 hours of notes gone! Much of my project seems to have reverted back to the template. 5 pdf's spread over 40 spaces missing.

The only thing I can think is that my computer was left unplugged last night. This morning it had to be plugged in to start.

But that is far from the first time that has happened. Don't these things auto-save? Should I use time machine to try to revert to yesterday?

Other thing that may or may no be related:

A curio file from last semester always opens when I open Curio. This has been going on for a while. Used to open the last project open
george
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa!

Where do you save your projects? The default suggested by Curio is your ~/Documents/Curio folder under your Home directory.

Was this 3-day old project a saved project or was it still Untitled?

Are you sure you're opening the saved project and not one of your templates?

When you quit Curio we store the names of all the currently opening projects. When you re-open Curio we auto-open those same projects. This setting is in your ~/Library/Preferences/com.zengobi.curio.plist file.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a saved project that I set up before the semester started.

I save my projects in a class subfolder of a Dropbox folder so that I can open them on multiple computers, but I have not found that I need to do so, so I have not opened any of the files on a second computer.

I went to Document/Curio and checked those files. I haven't accidentally saved anything there or taken my notes on one of those files. I've checked all my other class curio projects that have been opened recently and I haven't accidentally added my notes to any of those files.

I noticed that I can't find the location of one of my templates. I only have two, and I thought they were saved in the same default spot. I also can't find it using spotlight. But I can see it and open it in Curio...

How do you search an entire computer for a specific type of file in spotlight?

Do I type *.*.curio?

I also looked in the project's library and the PDFs were not there.
jmh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be a long shot, but what the heck. Are you sure you don't have an old copy of curio floating around somewhere?

When I was beta testing version 7 I had both 6 and 7 installed. However, OS X was still defaulting to opening curio projects in version 6, and when I opened projects created in version 7 with version 6 I would get what you describe. The project would seem to be empty. It freaked me out at the time, and I was typing up a bug report when I figured it out.

Like I said, it's a long shot, but it mimicked your problem.
george
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your project templates are stored in your ~/Library/Application Support/Curio/Project Templates folder.

Do this to search your entire hard disk for .curio files:
1. Open a new Finder window.
2. Choose File > Find or just hit Command-F.
3. Change the Search to "This Mac" and the next item to "File Name".
4. Change the Kind popup to "File extension" and enter in curio. Just curio, don't put a dot in front of it.

While I read that you haven't needed to open it on a second computer are you absolutely sure that project wasn't opened with Curio on another machine? If it committed the last save or flush to disk then it would have overwritten anything from your other machine.

Lastly, while I myself have never done this, are you sure you haven't rolled-back to an earlier version using Dropbox's nifty data rewinding features?
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I open Applications I see Curio with the old icon, size of the application is 61.4MB

I also see Curio-7 with the new icon and a size of 71.9

The Curio-7 icon is the one I use. About says I'm using 7.4.0 (7400)

I have no idea how to roll back Dropbox so I don't think I have done this. None of the other files have been effected.

I don't recall opening on another computer. My old computer is running version 6, and I'm assuming I would have gotten an error right?

I've checked all curio files opened from a month before the start of the semester to today, and have not found the notes.
george
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curio 6 can technically open a Curio 7 project. It won't know what to do with Project Sections or Organizer Folders and could mess things up if you make changes and then save the project. Also internally the flag IDs have shifted around for the flags->tag migration but that only matters if you were using any image flags.

Curio doesn't know if a project is being accessed by another Curio somewhere, especially if all of that is happening via Dropbox sync.

Here's an idea. In your browser, login to your Dropbox account and click on the little down-arrow to the right-side of your problem project file then choose Previous Versions. The catch is that Dropbox will see your project as a folder tree so you'll need to do that on the files within the folder.

By looking at the history of the asset library file (__Curio Library Data.plist) you can see if there's a chance another computer modified it during the last few days.

This is where it could get tricky. You can roll back to an earlier version of the __Curio Library Data.plist file. But if you added idea spaces (aka Sketchpad asset files) and PDF's then you'll need to also recover those manually in the numbered asset subfolders.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe I've accessed this file on the curio 6 computer, or accidentally accessed it on curio 6 on this computer. The file history on dropbox does not show any other computer making changes except for the one I am currently on.

On a side note, should I delete the Curio 6 program, and if so what is the safest way?

I haven't had any issues before with this, and I've actively used 2 versions back when 7 was a beta. I seem to recall that a message would come up saying the file had to be updated, when it had last been open in the other version.

Appreciate your help here, btw.
george
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can delete the Curio 6 program. Simply drag it to the Trash to remove it.

If you use a trial of Curio 7 and open a Curio 6 project we warn you that you can't open it on an earlier version if you use the newer features. However, if you don't use the new features (sections & folders which obviously Curio 6 doesn't know anything about) it will technically open with no problems.

In Dropbox did the version info show anything regarding your PDF in one of the asset folders? Did you try to roll back the asset library?

Oh, in your project did you look in the Library (View > Show Library) and change the little right-corner popup to Unused Assets? Perhaps your PDF is in there. That would at least give us a clue as to what happened.

I'm not sure what else to try. Curio shouldn't just remove your new idea spaces or PDF -- even if you opened it with Curio 6. Do you have any other backups?
george
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something just occurred to me: perhaps your other idea spaces were in a different Section? Click the little Sections icon in the Organizer's header and then click on the other available sections in your project.
george
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, also, can you send me your zipped project file? I'd love to see what's inside.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

george wrote:
You can delete the Curio 6 program. Simply drag it to the Trash to remove it.

Curio 6 removed

If you use a trial of Curio 7 and open a Curio 6 project we warn you that you can't open it on an earlier version if you use the newer features. However, if you don't use the new features (sections & folders which obviously Curio 6 doesn't know anything about) it will technically open with no problems.

Am using the full fledged Curio 7, does the warning not pop up since it went "gold?" I haven't opened up Curio on a second computer since then.

In Dropbox did the version info show anything regarding your PDF in one of the asset folders? Did you try to roll back the asset library?

In dropbox I have assest folders 1-21, 56, 71, and 77-79. I can see two of them, 1 and 21, has a pdf in them but not one of them that dissappeared. I have not tried rolling back the asset library. Do you suggest this over using time machine to roll back the curio project to the day before I noticed things missing?

Oh, in your project did you look in the Library (View > Show Library) and change the little right-corner popup to Unused Assets? Perhaps your PDF is in there. That would at least give us a clue as to what happened.

Tried this and did not see the missing PDFs in it

I'm not sure what else to try. Curio shouldn't just remove your new idea spaces or PDF -- even if you opened it with Curio 6. Do you have any other backups?
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

george wrote:
Something just occurred to me: perhaps your other idea spaces were in a different Section? Click the little Sections icon in the Organizer's header and then click on the other available sections in your project.

Checked every section of every curio project I have, and did not find the missing idea spaces/pdfs.

I'll send you the file. How exactly do I zip it up for you? I may have switched to Mac a few years ago but some things are still engrained in my head PC.

Thanks for your help.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I thought, I'd also throw this in there: The reason I don't think that these idea spaces were just moved somewhere, or just accidentally deleted is because this idea space started from a template. The template has multiple sections. One section is "Notes" with 3 sub sections "Exam 1, Exam 2 and Exam 3." Within each subsection There are two place holder idea spaces labeled "Topic 1 and Topic 2." The first thing that happens when I start populating notes is that these two idea spaces either get deleted or I change the names to the topic, put the pdf in them and spread them.

As of now, Notes>Exam 1 has reverted back to the two place holder idea spaces, Topic 1 and Topic 2.
george
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just right-click on the project in the Finder and choose Create Archive. That will make a zip file for you which you can send through email.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zengobi Forums Forum Index -> The Enlightened Ones All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: