Zengobi Forums
Talk about all things Zengobi.

Click to go back to Zengobi

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Top tips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zengobi Forums Forum Index -> The Enlightened Ones
View previous topic :: View next topic  
george
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Top tips Reply with quote

I'd like to put up a "top tips" post here in the forums and in a permanent location on our website. Ideally with screenshots and other goodies.

The inspiration for this idea is this post from Panic:
http://www.panic.com/blog/2010/11/15-secrets-of-transmit/

I figure this can be a FAQ as well. An ever-growing list of things everyone should know about Curio.

So, while I construct this page, what are some tips that you all think I should mention? Here are some quick examples:
    Hold q to do a quick zoom.
    Spacebar for a expand/collapse of a parent figure in a list or mind map.
    The n key will make a figure its natural size.
    Turn off level styles if you want independent styling in a list or mind map.
    Option-arrow key to insert rows/columns in a table. Option-shift-arrow key to insert rows/columns by increasing the table size.
    Edit > Copy, Edit > Paste As > Jump Action to quickly create a jump to a destination figure or idea space.
What else?
jmh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shift+command+8 to get to 'full screen' (or whatever you'd call it).
mnmcook

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Command-/ to minimize the idea space and keep it on top so you can drag information or files into Curio as new embedded assets, then Command-/ again to return Curio to the original layout.

Shift-Command-L to reveal or hide the asset library.

Right click Reveal in Finder or Reveal in Library for access to an embedded file.

Hold down the mouse button on drawing tool icons to make an alternate selection.

Double click a project in the project center to open it in a new window.

Link to entire idea spaces by dragging the target to a source location; and change it to show as icon with idea space title.

Create overview tables using the above technique for handy reference and access across a project or many sub projects.

Create a very visible figure, insert a note like "Final Version", and group with the final version of an embedded asset for rapid recall when you need to revisit the idea space at a later date.

Right click Mail as Attachment is a new favorite.

Shift click a tool icon to immediately insert the figure with default style.

Print as PDF to Curio scrapbook, drag into idea space, the delete from scrapbook.

Email anything to your Evernote account as a convenient way to send output from an application into Curio - especially if you are working from another computer or the iPad that doesn't have Curio.

Good activity to start; I'll have to think about others I use frequently.
george
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Print as PDF to Curio scrapbook, drag into idea space, the delete from scrapbook.

If you hold Option while dragging from Scrapbook it will move it from the Scrapbook instead of copying from it.
mnmcook

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

Also,

Shift-Command-G to Group
Option-Command-g to Ungroup

are handy (though seeing the background grid pop up after it's already grouped and I hit it a second time keeps surprising me).
mnmcook

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think this collection of frequently used techniques to share is a good one if we can get some more users to comment.

Another one that's so simple I hesitate to post it but I find I use it frequently. I have a tendency to need to highlight and label a group of files (like "Input Files", "Reference", or "Final Version" for the finished version / output document from my work). I want those groups of files/assets to stand out on complicated Idea Spaces so I can visually find them very quickly when returning to the idea space later.

I've set up a rounded box with a nice background/thick border and formatted the text to really stand out. I also set it so the text is always adjusted to the left and top of the box using the Inspector options. The resulting figure was then saved as a basic figure style.

Now whenever I want to make a group of items clearly visible, I doubleclick on the idea space above where I want to build the group and enter the text I want like "Final Version". I then right click on the text and choose Apply Basic Figure Style which colors it as expected. I can simply grab the lower right corner of the box and stretch it out however I like over any assets already arranged or to create a new area for some I'll put there. Since the text label was anchored at the top/left, the label is always nicely positioned. Push the graphic into the background of the figures and it all looks great.

Super simple, super quick, and I'm finding it convenient and pleasing.
george
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zengobi Forums Forum Index -> The Enlightened Ones All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: